Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The difference between 1 and 2 kids.

I'm at the age where a lot of my friends are expecting, or had their first-born recently. Joe and I did have a bit of an early start (yes, it's no surprise that our kids were surprises - but no regrets!), so we've been asked many many times - what's it like with 2?

Well, I'll have you know. As I was taking a hot shower this morning, while Cara was sleeping and Colin was by himself watching TV... I was thinking - I would have NEVER had a nice hot shower when it was just Colin. My new mom mentality was a bit cuckoo. But maybe my Mom of 2 brain is just more lazy? Who knows. But here are the differences between when I had just Colin, and now with 2.

The Pregnancy
1 kid:
I'm going to eat so healthy, take all my vitamins, teas and stay away from all the evil foods like cheese.

2 kids:
I'm going to eat chocolate. Cause I can. and this random cheese on the platter? i'll just have a little.

At the hospital
1 kid:
OMG. WTF. OMG.

2 kids:
Joe literally dropped me off at the emergency entrance to find cheaper parking. I waddled my way to the triage, and then to the ward by myself with contractions. (I have to insert here that hospital parking is quite ridiculous - so don't get on Joe's case too much. Just a little will do.)

The Homecoming
1 kid:
Wow (in the freaking out kind of way).... what do we do now?

2 kids:
Let's pick up some take out and do some grocery shopping before we get home.

Showers
1 kid:
I can't leave him alone... what do I do?? oh, I know. I'll bring him in his bouncy chair to sit in the bathroom with me while I shower.

2 kids:
watch tv. (Cara either sleeping, or in the neglect-o-saucer).

Food
1 kid:
I'm going to steam and freeze ONLY organic foods. And what should he be eating and how much of it? His poo was a little hard yesterday - I need to give him only pears. His poo was too soft - he needs more grains.

2 kids:
Can I mash this meat up with a fork? sure.

The TV
1 kid:
Only limited TV. It's so destructive for the brain.

2 kids:
TV is the best. (and research says it's the commercials and 'fast paced' shows that are bad anyway - at least that's what I tell myself)

Going out
1 kid:
Let's go to ALL these special programs. Story times at the library, Jungle Gyms, Strong Start... and grocery shopping

2 kids:
It takes me 45 minutes to get out of a house. I can't get anywhere on time. Grocery shopping? Forget it.


When the Baby is Crying

1 kid:
googled 'why is my 6 week old crying'; 'how to get 6 month old to sleep'; 'projectile vomiting 28 week old'; 'what should my baby's poo look like'; 'sleep consultants'; 'what should my baby's schedule look like', 'best remedy for teething' this list goes ON.... I googled everything and anything.

2 kids:
meh - growth spurt.

Sex
1 kid:
what's that?

2 kids:
what's that?


Love

1 kid:
I love you sooooo much. How could I ever love another being as much as I love you?

2 kids:
I love you and you so much. More than you both will ever know.



I don't know about people with 3+ kids. I have a theory - they either don't exist, or we don't see them exist because they can't ever get out of a house to get anywhere. If it happens to us, I'll blog about it.

16 comments:

  1. Sharon,
    I love the way you think! This was hilarious!! I already know that I'd be so much more lazy about everything if I had 2 to take care of instead of 1. And, by the way, you are a great Mum!!
    -Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up, Sharon! I love reading your posts :) I can totally relate to every single one of your topics. I distinctly remember the shower scenario when I would put Aidan in his bouncy chair while I quickly showered for 2 mins. because I was so scared something bad would happen to him. Sigh....I wouldn't call it "lazy" per se, but just more "mature and experienced". heheehe. Will let you know how much worse it gets with 3. I was just trying to think of a way to quiet the boys down while I was breastfeeding Em....let me know what you have up your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Lucy and Izzy!!

    Isabel - let's just call it enlightenment. you must be at genius status now with 3!! I don't have anything up my sleeve, but i usually go the 'what i can't see/hear can't harm me' route. let me know if that works for you ha!! Hope you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. d...

    three and four kids get easier and you just throw more caution to the wind. I just run upstairs to put on my contacts and tell my hubs that the kids are babysitting themselves! Ha!

    And it doesn't take 45 minutes to get everyone out the door...sometimes longer sometimes shorter, depending on what you want everyone to wear. or not wear.

    But as you said, the more kids, the more joy, love and laughter to share!! -Sharon from Halifax

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon - I thought of you when I posted this - with 4 kids in tow, I can't imagine the experiences you must have!! if I were you, i'm pretty sure i'd end up forgetting to get dressed, or better yet, forget one of the kids. you, my friend, are a super duper (and crazy) mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was recommended by Will. Totally feel the same about the shower, TV, amd food thing! Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ghis - I find it so hilarious that every new mom has done the shower thing! Why was it that we all thought that tragedy would strike if they weren't within arms reach - so strange, yet we all did it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon, your post just made my LOL time! =D
    Everything about 1 kid is exactly the same with what I did to my little boy. I dont have 2nd kid to test but I strongly concur it. :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chloe - I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I didn't think this post would hit the head on the nail with so many other moms, but I'm glad I've exposed the neurotic side of new parenthood for better or worse? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. BWAHAHAHA! I really enjoyed this. I have a 26 month old and an 11 month old, with another one due in March. ALL GIRLS. I can totally relate ... and think by the time #3 arrives I'm pretty sure they will have to raise themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol... everything you said is so true... I have had my kids at young age too... my first son was born on my last day of exams at the university...lol... and the second one 17 months after that... and the bouncy chair in the shower lol... I had no clue other moms have had done that too lol...

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol! I have 4 and shopping with all of them was great fun.. (not) the older kids would keep the younger ones in the comic book isle and I would speed along. we live in a very small town and everyone kept an eye on them.. they are all teenagers now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all comments! and to Casey with 4 - were you thinking having more at the store meant they'd help you carry the groceries out? :) now that would be true 'lazy mom' mentality ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got 3 (ages 7, 4, and 11 weeks) and it's much like having 2 except for a small additional layer of logistics.

    Also, you're right on about not getting out of the house. I can find a babysitter for 2 kids who can both walk, talk, and go potty by themselves. For three? Of any developmental stage? No way.

    I loved "neglect-o-saucer." Did the shower thing with the first child too.

    One of mine (the 4-year-old) is a runner. For more than a year I never took a shower unless my husband was home. He teaches at a boarding school (hello, supervision duty), is the volunteer fire captain for our local station (hello, 24/7 emergency beeper), and drives a school bus out and back to transport students over vacation (hello, vacation minus two days). So there were times I didn't shower for a week.

    I hated that. Hated it. But you know what, we all lived. I love my children with everything in me. But hubby is going in for The Procedure this coming week and so this is the happiest Thanksgiving of my life. :)

    Love you all, you're awesome mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lara, thank you for your comment - Moms really just go into survival mode and we finally 'get' what the definition of selfless is. But we all do crazy things for love right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Funniest (and most true) thing I've read in ages!!!! (as I just jumped out of the shower, while my 5 mnth old is napping and my 2.5 year old is watching TV...and now I'm reading blog posts).

    ReplyDelete