Monday, September 5, 2011

Easy Daysies

We wandered into the 'Woody Buzz' (translation: Toy Store, but Colin calls it the Woody Buzz Store because he thought we kept calling it Toy Story), and right smack dab in the front was a featured product. And I am still happy and gitty for a couple reasons:

1) buying things give me a rush (i'm not an addict yet, but joe does cringe)
2) i like the feeling that i 'discovered' something
3) this product meets all my needs as a former SEA (special education assistant) and mom
4) magnets, and shiny laminated labels products are just satisfying to use. Much ike tupperware, you can't get enough of it and you are always drawn to it - and just have an inherit desire to own it.


Easy Daysies - that's what I'm talking about. You remember when you were a kid in school, and your teacher had the day's schedule all up for you to look at, and for some strange reason, it felt good that you knew what was going to happen on that day? Like Gym, or Music class? Well, Easy Daysies is a product started by a mom of 3, and a teacher, and it's something that I truly believe in. It's just a small magnetic board, with all the strips of your regular daily activities - breakfast, getting dressed, snack, family time, clean up, etc. There is a board for you to set your schedule out for the day, and it's split up so that once you are finished the activity, you can place it on the completed side. It's not rocket science, it's just routine.

As a former SEA, I cannot tell you just how important it is to give your children a schedule. Even if your child is not special needs, all children (and even adults), appreciate the sense of routine. The routine doesn't have to be the exact same everyday, but knowing what is going to happen is such an important aspect. I remember my days spent as an SEA making these schedules for my students, individual ones sometimes because different kids have different needs - oh how the hours I spent.... but it is one of the most utilized items with kids. Now that I'm a mom, I use all my skills that that been engrained in me and have pretty much raised Colin as if he were one of my students. I am not trying to say how great my own child is, but honestly, he has not had a tantrum - and I attribute that to a couple things: he's able to communicate his feelings to us, he is logical and can be reasoned with, and I give him fair warning of what is going to happen before it happens. He is well aware of what activities are next (lunch, or going for a playdate, dim sum with the family, cleaning up etc) - and so nothing catches him off guard (which I think contributes to some tantrums). And not just Colin - Joe HATES it when I just throw something out there changing the plan on the go. I'm kind of like that - I go with the ebb and flow.... where the wind and nap schedules take me... so he absolutely hates it when I text him telling him we're going to be somewhere else for dinner without fair warning. (and shh, don't tell him, but he has tantrums too if I change the 'schedule' on him suddenly).

Another aspect of this is that the interaction the child has with the board, is a reward of it's own. If they eat their lunch, they get to move the magnet over into the 'done' side. It's satisfying, and completing a task is a reward in it's own rite. This gives your child the opportunity to learn life skills - planning, completing tasks, and ultimately ownership of their own actions. The perk is that as a parent you are also held accountable to the schedule, so as a role model you can start teaching your child to be more organized.

I've used it now just for one day, but even Joe was using it with Colin. And they were both excited - Colin was just gitty with the magnets, and couldn't WAIT to complete something just to move it over to the 'done' side, and Joe was beaming when Colin said to him "It's Family Time now!!!!"

This would make a great gift if you are trying to think of something outside of books, toys, games, clothes - and you just don't know what to get for a child. This would be perfect, and functional - even the pickiest of moms can't turn this down.

I can't tell you how satisfied I am with this product. Please check their website out www.easydaysies.com. Also, if you watch Dragon's Den on CBC, Elaine and her family will be appearing on September 28th at 8pm to try to make a deal!! I hope it goes well :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you have made my heart smile and cry all at the same time! It was lovely to have met you and your family. I feel truly blessed by the kind words and praise you so generously shared about my mom/teacher created products. It is comments and kind gestures like yours that make me keep packaging kits until 3 or 4 in the morning most nights of the week. God is good. Thank you again for sharing this with me and with your friends.

    Would you mind if I shared your blog?

    Smilesvand blessings to you and your beautiful family,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please do! Anything that helps your product get the buzz it deserves!! :) And I'll be watching Dragon's Den... I would bet on this that you guys did well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the show on Dragon's Den! That is awesome that Elaine posted a comment here.

    BTW, where did you purchase the product?

    ReplyDelete