Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sushi Birthday Cake

Happy Birthday Joe! My main squeeze is a grand old 28. He's a special guy, and he deserves the world when it comes to his birthday, and the best way I could think of making him feel special? Taking the time to make him a cake.... of (one of) his favorite things in life.

Sushi.

So, here is my attempt at the most epic sushi roll ever.

When it comes to cake, there is the 'lazy' side of me, and then the crazy anal perfectionist side. Both come out when it comes to baking.

How am I lazy? I use Betty Crocker's cake mix. And I try to find short cuts for everything I do, but when it comes to the making an imitation giant sushi roll, the short cuts can only go so far.... I had to be creative. And nothing short of perfection was expected for my husband.

I thought my idea of a sushi cake was pretty unique, but alas, the interweb loves to prove me wrong and deflate any creative self-esteem I had built up. It appears that everyone has done a sushi cake or cupcake. But I still looked around for ideas on what to use for the decorations. But it was a flop. Mostly on the seaweed front. Everyone used either green fruit roll-ups, or diluted-til-you-turn-hulk green food coloured icing.




I didn't want to go either route, so I picked me up some lovely green sprinkles (and during Christmas it's available up the wazoo) - I would sort out how to actually apply the sprinkles against gravity later. I ended up just trying ever so slightly to hold my cake at an angle, and pour it on... and then used a knife to spread on the excess sprinkles bottom up. On the realism front, the little specs of sprinkle resemble the little tiny flakes that Joe sprinkles all over the counter when he eats nori (seaweed)....

The Salmon Roe - ah, J-E-L-L-O came to the rescue - my miniature ice cube trays for making frozen baby food (that was when I had Colin. No such things for Cara) came in handy.

The Wild Salmon (that's right, only the best for Joe), cucumbers, wasabi, and pickled ginger was a whole lot of icing.

A lot of other recipes used coconut flakes, or yogurt covered raisins... and some pretty random stuff (I'm pretty sure I saw some white beans on some of the cake images...) - i just shaved some white chocolate. duh. Clearly an easy and realistic rice.

It was a success. sushi for Joe, cake for Colin, and the satisfaction of perfection for an anal retentive creative 'lazy mom'.

Joe also subconsciously had a great idea while devouring his cake - he swore he tasted green tea. There was no such ingredient - but the next time I make this, I will most definitely use Matcha for the green icing beneath the seaweed (and perhaps for the cake flavour)! THAT would be perfection. Happy Birthday Hubs, enjoy your mega-roll, and the present I bought you with your hard earned money :)





4 comments:

  1. Fun! Cara did a great job taking that third photo. Happy Birthday, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shar, you should be so proud that looks AMAZING!!!!! What a great idea.

    Yes, the interweb is flooded with cake ideas but some of them are questionable or use really odd garnish ideas. Loved how you made the salmon roe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lucas! both the kids are taking after Joe, Colin with the music, Cara with the photography, they're talented children you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sharon this is amazing! i love it!!

    ReplyDelete