Wednesday, July 27, 2011

When you let me loose...

The past week was a pretty challenging one. First of all, HUGE thanks to my own mom for helping out when my kids were sick, and then I got sick too on top of it! It turned out to be Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. Not saying doctor's don't really know anything.... (and Joe, yes you are always right about doctor's being a little useless) - but every time I've gone in as a freakish mom that's worried (and stressed out from a sick kid), they just haven't been that helpful (and sometimes diagnose incorrectly!)

Here's what you do as a mom of sick kids. Survive the next 3-4 days, and they'll get over it. If the fever is really high and last for more than 48 hours, then go see a doctor... but otherwise Tylenol, and the tv are your best friends. In my case, get grandma to come over to help cook (my mother is on the neurotic side and goes full blown house cleaning and landscaping which I don't mind). If there's no grandma, hubby's pick up the slack and help cook and clean. The sicklings will ALWAYS want mom... just to be beside them... we're prisoners to our own children.

But they're all better now, and now I may blog my real blog. This was to sum up my week that I've been... a prisoner in my own home. On other weeks it's not so bad, but I'm still always with the kids... they are my social circle now. I'm hardly ever without them, and I hardly talk to other adults without them by my side.

Until this weekend.

I went to not 1, but TWO events. Joe was on super daddy baby sitting duty. The first was a bridal shower, and the second was a late night (so a real party I think??) Farewell party for a dear dear friend.

To put it nicely, when you let this mom out of her cage, I am a crazy social butterfly. I talk a mile a minute, I hug everyone, I am the life of a friggin party, and I talk to anyone and anything about everything under the sun. I don't want to toot my own horn, but if you want a serious fun time at a party - try getting together a bunch of stay-at-home-moms that haven't talked to other real life human beings older than 20 in a while.... it's amazing!! I have ACTUAL things to say, or I can keep that loner (you know, the friend that doesn't talk to anyone but you invite them anyway because you should?) company!!!

And the best part, I make my appearances brief so that I don't saturate the parties with too much butterfly talk. I do have kids to get home to, and a husband that probably is feeding my child goldfish crackers for lunch.

An Joe sure notices it - every time I come home from something social it's like I've gone to a fairyland and came home in a bubble. I'm just a pile of happiness and fluff and sometimes he doesn't know what to make of it.... but he's aware that this mom needs to be 'out' sometimes. Just to get a taste of what the world is like without kids, if even for only a minute.

1 comment:

  1. Totally know what you mean! I was such a party animal
    when I went to a karaoke bar last month. It was obvious I had repressed partying behaviors. But at least I work now during the daytime. It is just that I don't go out much after 8pm these days :).

    ReplyDelete