Wednesday, June 1, 2011

May Madness

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. The month of May has been a very very busy one, so please forgive me for not posting for a couple of weeks. You will understand soon enough why I haven't blogged in a while.

Crazy #1: My good friend, Jem, got married.
Crazy #2: In-laws came to visit
Crazy #3: Disneyland with my entire family

Although each of these events were tiresome at times, I do not regret any of them one bit. I anticipated each and every one of these special occasions, and was really excited when the events drew near. The kind of excited where you don't sleep the night before - yes, even with the in-laws arrival!

It was very crazy. Jem's wedding was actually easy, because everything was taken care of, and all of us bridesmaids just had to show up to get our hair and make up done. It was just a 1-day cray cray, with a couple of weeknight evenings set aside for manicures and rehearsals. I left Joe in the dust to single parent (my mom helped out a bit though), but being away from the kids from morning til night is tough!! A mother doesn't stop being a mother even when she's away from the kids - that meant pumping (for those who don't know what I mean, you don't need to) even when I was at my most glamorous state I've ever been in a long time.

Then, the in laws arrived. Actually, the in laws arrived before Jem's wedding, but took off for their own little vacation, and then arrived back the evening we came back from Disneyland. A lot of coordination was necessary, but I was so excited for them to come. Joe's parents live in HK and don't get the luxury of just dropping by to see the grandkids, and seeing them grow up. It would be their first time meeting Cara, and I was excited for them to just spend quality time with Colin too (yes, secretly I was also happy for the free babysitting).

And then, Disneyland. If you want real madness, go to Disneyland with your entire family. Which includes the crazy loud Chinese mother, and then 3 opinionated sisters (accompanied by 3 grumpy husbands because they're on a family trip with their crazy mother -in-law), and 5 children all 2 and under. We could have done a reality tv show about this trip, and put the Kardashian Family to shame.

It was a mental month. It really was. Joe and I were exhausted. But if we didn't have these events to look forward to, what would have filled these dates? Grocery shopping, Jungle Gym, going to the park... all good things, but nothing for the memory to think back on as 'Good times'.

For Joe and me, we need to look forward to something, so that the mundane daily activity of him going to work, and me staying at home doesn't get stale. We are working towards something, and there's a light at the end of that mundane tunnel. For the children, each of these events are documented by our in-house photographer (Joe), and memories are created. I want them to look back on their childhood with gladness, times that were filled with fun while surrounded by family. It may be hectic, and at times frustrating, but it's really worth it when we look back on these times.

[For the record, Joe was there, he was just the one taking the pictures so he's not in any of them! On a side note, if anyone wants to prevent that happening on their own Family Disneyland reunion, Joe is available for hire. Crazy mother-in-law not included.]

No comments:

Post a Comment