Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First Love

Monday, June 6th, 2011, is a date that will be marked as a date that my heart stopped and smiled. My dear first born, said the 3 words that make all women melt. Especially if it's coming from a 2.5 year old with a sniffly nose with a scratchy voice.

A while back, Joe bought him a house to play in for the sunny days (it seems pretty baller, but it was for a smashing $32 at Superstore). Part of the feature of this house, was that it had a mailbox, so I had left Colin a note in there on the first day he played with the house. He didn't care. I didn't really care that he didn't care, he was having too much fun and that was enough to put a smile on my face.

But with the recent sunny days, he's been outside quite a few times (hmm, perhaps the culprit of this recent cold he has...), and he checked his mailbox. The first piece he had was junk mail (really - it was some Fido flyer... I'm pretty sure that was Joe's handiwork). But his second piece of mail was my little note to him! It survived the rainy days, and remained in tact. It read:

Colin,
I (heart) you
Love,
Mommy

I read this to him, and he looked at me, and smiled. That already made me melt, he understood the meaning of the words on the paper. He wanted to treasure the note and hold it. Then I read it to him again, "Look! It says, I Love You! Mommy loves Colin".

He looked at it again, and at me with his eyes lit up. He then said it. He said, "I love you". He said it knowing the meaning of it. He's repeated 'I love you' to us before (he usually says 'A Na' actually), but this time there were 3 distinctly special words. In all of his terrible twosome recently, crying at night because he's been sick, never ending snot saga, whining for his bottles.... those 3 words just erased all the bad and made me a pile of goob.

I know he won't always express his love to me with these words for long, so I'm going to make a point to remember that he said it, and meant it when he was just 2 years old.




And I wish I could tell you the moment lasted forever and the rainbow showed up and Josh Groban started singing.... but nope. Since he was so 'in love' with me, I thought he'd be willing to take a picture with the precious note..... but nope. :) That's motherhood for ya!

2 comments:

  1. Such a food mom for writing this down. I think James said I love you to us around the same age too. It is indeed a precious moment. Way to go Colin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i pondered your comment for a while. 'food mom'? then I figured your typo. but i can't help to think it might have been a Freudian slip? :)

    ReplyDelete