Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jeans Day





Today is a historic day. An incredible momentous day. This one is for the books.

I. fit. my. jeans.

Of course, I did have to starve myself with the stomach flu, and then marathon nurse my child so that I could shed as much as possible, but now they fit. The exception being... I can barely bend over to get my socks on, walk normally, or sit for that matter. I did have to do quite the jiggle dance, jumping up and down to shimmy my mass of being into these denim babies... muffin top and all.

I was lamenting about a month ago how I couldn't pull my jeans up even past my knees... but now I can proudly say I am back to my old physical self!

It's not really a self image issue though for me. It's the fact that I am moving on now from the 'pregnancy' (and giving birth) mentality, back to Sharon. I don't have the excuse, that 'it's just my baby weight', giving me a bit of a cushion (no pun intended) to fall back on if i wanted to eat a lot of junk and sweets, or not to be conscious of my health. If my body is able to get back into it's pre-baby state, it is my job and duty now to do my best to keep it as healthy as it used to be.

I've come to learn, that being a parent entails a lot of responsibility. But the biggest one is, I need to be the person that I want my children to become. I want my kids to be compassionate beings. So I have to be conscious of the beggar outside the Superstore, and offer him food. I want my kids to be patient. So I have to hold my tongue, and demonstrate patience with my 2 y/o, as well as my husband (trust me... that's a hard one) because they're always watching. And, I want them to live a long and healthy life, so I have to stop (or limit) shoving chips and chocolate down my throat. I want them to be a lot of things, and have high hopes... but that also means I have to be every little thing I hope for them to be.

It's not easy, because if I am not demonstrating any of these attributes at any point, it's like taking 10 steps back. This is a lifestyle I have to believe in and live by so that it is the only thing my kids know how to be.

So, my jeans fit, and it's great that my body can be squeezed into those suckers - but seriously I couldn't have been happier to take them off as soon as I got home from a long day out cause it's just hard work.

4 comments:

  1. Love it!! Thanks for the laugh! It was much needed! Looking forward to reading more! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one like that you can fit in your old jeans. Hot mama! MAybe it's time for me to buy you a pair of NEW hot jeans, muffin top and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Joe's comment made me gag.

    I think every mom strives to be a good model to their kids and yes, they are watching us. But also don't feel too guilty if you do indulge and make mistakes. They also need to see the "human" side of you and not just supermom who does everything right all the time. But I know what you mean about trying to be a better role model for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ghis - hahaha you mean will never says you're a hot mama?!

    @joe - oooh, can i get a pair like 3rd image? i like the dual-purpose denim look, skirt AND pants.... it's so functional.

    ReplyDelete