Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My First Hearbreak


It's a new year, and it's time for growing, and maturing. But when it comes to my kids, I don't want all it to go too fast. But, as far as the story of my life goes - nothing goes my way.

It used to be the case, where when someone gets hurt, I, Mommy, am the ultimate healer of pain. I can take any owie, examine it, and with the magic of a kiss the pain would be washed away.

He took it to another level, and when he got hurt, he'd say 1 isn't enough. The bigger badder owies seemed to need.... five. As much as it burdened me, I would lay those kisses on him - it was my duty as a mother.

So many hats to wear, but I took this new role on and played it proudly. Until...... this past week.

He hurts himself, and now he's frikkin 'brave'??? What is this all about? No kisses needed, no crying or sobbing, just holding his head up high. Making his Dad proud, that's for sure, but seriously - being 'Brave like Diego' is just crap. I want to smother him with kisses, and I want to be the go-to healer!

I hate it when they get too independent. He's no longer wimpy, and my hat has been stripped. At least there's Cara.


4 comments:

  1. Last semester in one of my nursing classes, we read quite a few articles on the disparity of health care use between men and women. A lot of men don't go to the doctor because they're told from a very young age to "tough things out" and "be brave." It often leads to them not accessing health care, ignoring warning signs, and neglecting VERY preventable illnesses for far too long.

    In no way am I commenting to try to tell you how to parent! I just thought you might find it interesting! Perhaps it's not be a bad idea to encourage young children of any age/gender to talk about when they're feeling unwell/sad/hurt/ouchie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point! Asian males especially!! But very valid point - interesting to see what would come of it if the value of vulnerability was taught early on in life?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i feel like a bad mother now because i would tell my kid to tough it out and to stop crying... but maybe that's just my style ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's still your baby no matter what! Sweet little person. And to avoid all future heartbreaks, you should start having a baby a year.

    ReplyDelete