Saturday, December 27, 2014

Yes, I'll be 'that' Mother-in-law

Sitting at the local JJ Bean, a song near and dear to my heart started playing. Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey.... oh, talk about throwback days. It's just a classic for my R&B days of the 90s, along with Boyz 2 Men. Who could deny the soft luscious vocals of the queen of falsetto? I digress. That song was one of my faves, and remains top 10. So, to say my ears perked up with it started playing over the radio at the coffee shop, holding an actual baby, I was hormonally excited! It's automatic for my mouth to start singing the song, I can't help it. And then I realized, in that moment, I was singing 'Always Be My Baby', TO MY BABY.

It's funny how lyrics work, and I know that song is meant for some creepy stalker (ex)girlfriend to sing all by her lonesome self, but when I started singing it in relation to my current situation as a mother to my children... I knew I had it. I had the song for the mother-son dance at their wedding.



Sure enough, it sounds a little crazy mother in law to think: "Boy don't you know you can't escape me Ooh darling, 'cause you'll always be my baby'".

But on their respective wedding days, or any significant event really (graduation, first job, going to a sleepover, getting their driver's license, first steps) I really do hope I can sing these words and mean it:

Now you want to be free
So I'm letting you fly
'Cause I know in my heart babe
Our love will never die, no








No comments:

Post a Comment